Sweet and Spicy Beef Empanadas
Prepared with 100% Choice Beef, our Carne Deshebrada is seasoned with a traditional blend of spices; tasty and cooked to perfection following our family recipe. This convenient, ready-in-minutes meal, can be a great addition to any dish and occasion with your friends and family.
- 2 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick of butter (cold), cut into pieces
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup of ice cold water
- 1 package of
Del Read Foods® Shredded Beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp each cumin, garlic powder and cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup
Del Real Foods® Salsa de Molcajete Verde
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Tobasco Sauce
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- Add flour and salt to a food processor.
- Add butter, egg, and cold water. Pulse until mixture starts to come together and resembles crumbs.
- Shape dough into ball, cover with plastic wrap, and let chill in fridge for 15 minutes.
- In a medium skillet heat olive oil and add shredded beef to it.
- Add onions, bell peppers, and garlic to it and continue sautéing until onion is cooked through.
- Add the spices, brown sugar, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato sauce. Mix well and cook until broth has almost completely evaporated. (Make sure not to let the broth evaporate completely so that the empanadas can keep some moisture).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll dough on a lightly floured cutting board into a thin sheet and cut out discs using a biscuit cutter.
- Fill each disc with 2 tbsp of beef filling in the center.
- Brush the edge of the disc with a beaten egg to help them seal better. Fold the dough in half so the edges meet and press them together with your fingers to form a seal. Use a fork to crimp the edges. Place empanadas on a baking sheet and brush the tops with the remaining egg wash.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown. Serve with cilantro Molcajete dipping sauce
In a medium sized bowl combine all the sauce ingredients until well mixed.